Media stories / Opinion editorials
Continual program cuts hurt the most vulnerable say the leaders of the BCGEU, CUPE BC,
HEU and HSA BC
- Hundreds of Vancouverites turn out to rally for $10 a day childcare, Vancouver Sun, March 9, 2013
BC child care advocates say sector is in crisis, Georgia Straight, March 7, 2013
Funding cuts need a road map, Times Colonist, Feb. 24, 2013
- B.C. plans to slash funding for adults with disabilities, Times Colonist, Feb. 20, 2013
- BC Budget disappoints advocates for Community Social Services, Opinion Editorial by John Kay, CEO, United Community Services Co-op, Vancouver Sun, Feb. 20, 2013 (appeared in the Vancouver Sun, Times Colonist, The Province (blog), Canada.com; Surrey Now; Maple Ridge Times; Vancouver Courier; Abbotsford Times; Delta Optimist; Coquitlam Now; Regina Leader Post; Calgary Herald)
- Time for BC to invest in $10/day child care, Vancouver Sun Opinion Editorial by Sharon Gregson, Coordinator, Coalition of Child Care Advocates of BC and Stephanie Smith, Treasurer, BC Government and Service Employees' Union, Feb. 18, 2013
- Vigils won’t stop violence against women; action is needed, by Shabna Ali, Executive Director, B.C. Society of Transition Houses and Tracy Porteous, Executive Director, Ending Violence Association of B.C. - Vancouver Sun, Dec. 3, 2012 (appeared in Vancouver Sun, The Province; Georgia Straight; Merritt Herald; Kamloops this Week; Surrey Leader; CBC Blog; 14U News; Vancouver City: City Snapped; The Wellington Street Post; Sport balla)
- CSS a good Investment, by Michelle Fortin, Executive Director, Watari Youth, Family and Community Services, Times Colonist, Nov. 28, 2012 (appeared in Victoria Times Colonist; Whistler Peak Online; Actively Passive; Nanaimo Bulletin)
- Seniors' day, by David Hay, Executive Director, Federation of Community Social Services of BC, TriCity News, Sep. 26, 2012 (appeared in Tri City News; Cowichan News Leader; Peninsula News review; The Free Press – East Kootenays; Trail Daily Times; Terrace Standard; New West Record; Burnaby Now; Abbotsford Times; 100 Mile Free Press
- Readiness For School by Carol Matusicky,Vice-Chair, Board Voice Society of B.C., Times Colonist, Aug. 28, 2012 (appeared in Victoria Times Colonist; Kamloops Daily News; Nolet News and Reviews)
Letters to the Editor
Write the editor of your local newspaper in support of CSS Awareness month
Community Social Services Awareness month includes advertising in regional papers across British Columbia, including:
- In the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley: Abbotsford, Burnaby, Chilliwack, Coquitlam, Langley, Maple Ridge, North Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey, and Vancouver.
- On the Island: Campbell River, Duncan, Nanaimo, and Victoria.
- Interior: Cranbrook, Dawson Creek, Kamloops, Kelowna, Nelson, Penticton, Prince George, Terrace, Trail, Vernon, and Williams Lake.
- Sample ad is here.
- Sample ad in cantonese is here.
BCGEU Communications: 604.291.9611
CSS Month media coverage for 2012
CSS month media coverage in 2011